[BlueOnyx:00183] Re: Third party software

Jes Klittum jes at klittum.dk
Wed Jan 14 07:51:07 -05 2009

Hello Michael,

> We couldn't use the FQDN, as it may get too long and MySQL has a
> limit of how
> long a database name can be (24 characters). Another option would
> have been
> to "trim" any sitename that's too long.

According to all references I can find on the net, database names can
be 64 characters, not 24?

f.ex: http://askville.amazon.com/maximum-length-MySQL5-database/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=9290805

Database, table, index, column, and alias names are identifiers. This
section describes the allowable syntax for identifiers in MySQL.

Identifier Maximum Length
Database 64
Table 64
Column 64
Index 64
Alias 255

I have used Ensim before BQ, and Ensim used this naming conversion:
[hostname]_[domain_name]_[tld]_-_[database_name] - so the site www.my-superfantastic-shop-selling-flowers.com
  would have the database prefix: www_my-superfantastic-shop-selling-
flowers_com_-_. This takes of 50 chars, so there would still remain 14
for the actual database. If we agree that www.my-superfantastic-shop-selling-flowers.com
  is a rather long and unusual FQDN then the 64 char convention should
leave enough space for the site. Also - a few chars could be saved by
using the convention: : [hostname][domain_name][tld]-[database_name]
which would still provide a unique identifier.

Best regards,

Jes Kasper Klittum
Birk-IT
www.birk-it.dk