[BlueOnyx:00220] Re: How do YOU do dns...

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Wed Jan 14 19:16:16 -05 2009

On Wed January 14 2009 17:57, Stephanie Sullivan wrote:
> With BQ/BO servers there is DNS management integrated into the gui on a
> per-site basis (besides the server admin network services management). This
> gives rise to the possibility of many ways of managing DNS records.
>
> In my environment the strategy I use harkens back to the days when I was
> happily running RaQ3's and 4's. I have DNS services on (currently BQ)
> servers that have no sites and are dedicate to DNS. I turn off most other
> services and firewall them up the yin-yang. I have DNS servers: a primary
> and secondary server. When I provision a site I manually enter the DNS
> information into the primary server and the secondary record on the
> secondary server. Very plain-jane.
>
> With BO/BQ the site can auto provision (saving provisioning time) on the
> same host and enable site admins to manage domain records. This has some
> obvious uses and is a nice thing to allow, mostly. As Michael points out
> CMU has not backed up the DNS records on individual hosts which puts this
> information at risk.
>
> My concern is with backup and moving sites. If a site has its primary DNS
> server on the same server, then migrating or restoring to a server at a
> changed IP address becomes a nightmare as the primary DNS server's IP has
> change from what is in their domain registration. Oops.
>
> I would like a way to enable secure access to a separate DNS server where
> the gui can send updates to be applied. Maybe over ssh or using ssl? Let
> sites manage their DNS records without tying their DNS server to their
> server's IP address.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, or just being a little thick in
> the head about this. I would appreciate hearing how others on the list have
> setup their DNS environments and manage them. Particularly how a strategy
> handles backup/restore/migration of sites from one server to another.

Hmmm, I guess I am even more "paranoid" that you then.  I do not run
DNS on any Cobalt, BQ or BO server at present.  For one, I  started in the
"old" unix days even before the Qube and RAQ days and never quite "trusted"
their DNS.  For two, in Bellsouth (now ATT) turf, they always did their
reverse dns with five octets (yes, five:  73.64.71.93.208.in-addr.arpa -
made-up IP but you get the point) and no "standard" server would do that (and
I host a fair amount of DNS and reverse for Bell/ATT customers)...  I run
eight to ten "dedicated" DNS servers that have private net connections
between themselves and "trust" configuration that allows them to backup
and update and such between themselves so even if one is down I can
restore it, start its dns and it will know to update from an "active" server
and keep on trucking...

But to the point, I believe that current BIND supports both "update" and
transfer restrictions.  It should be easy enough to have a server running
all your primary DNS, only allow transfers from "trusted" hosts; and only
allow updates for various individual "zones" from their respective servers.

So if your DNS is at 1.2.3.4 and 2.3.4.5 hosts "foo.com" it would be
authorized to do DNS updates to the server for the foo.com zone.  If 1.3.5.4
hosts bar.com, then it would also be authorized to do updates for that zone,
but not for the foo.com zone, etc etc.  Not sure how difficult this would be
to make graphical (GUI based) but it is really easy to do by hand with
the zone files...

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net