[BlueOnyx:00223] Re: How do YOU do dns...

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Wed Jan 14 19:55:23 -05 2009

Larry, I may not have been very clear - I run separate servers for DNS - no
sites or users on them except the admins. I'm a little on the paranoid side
too. I use zone transfer restrictions and update controls to limit access to
zones and updates to my DNS servers only. I also firewall off most other
services and turn off everything I don't need...

I know the BO/BQ servers have gui components in place to manage DNS records
hosted on the same server. I'm not comfortable with that for a number of
reasons, but for the purpose of my suggestion was the potential added
hassles in recovering sites from a CMU  backup with a different IP when
their primary dns in their domain record would also have to be changed.

The idea of running a private net (either vlan or physically separate -
after all, don't most servers these days have 2 lan ports??? :-) is very
attractive.

It seems to me the idea behind the DNS/vsite gui integration is the primary
DNS for vsites would be in that server's DNS with secondary servers on other
servers.

Thanks for sharing your approach.

	-Stephanie