[BlueOnyx:00247] Re: upgrading to BlueOnyx ?

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:32:17 -05 2009

Mr. Smit wrote:
> I'm running for several years Brian's software, Bluequartz and several
applications i bought. I'm not very happy he stopped without any notice.
> With the webinstaller it was possible to install very fast third party
software. I bought Wordpress, Mantis, Joomla, stTicket, Dokuwiki etc.
> Are there other places on the web available to buy these webinstall
"pkg's" ?!? (on the website of Brian there where about 30 available)

> Are the people who are not upgrading to BlueOnyx?

Yea, his decision to shutdown with no notice really put me out as well.  I
run four BQ servers currently and I had meant to get a bunch more web app
installers for my clients and also I needed to update to his latest
SPAMASSASSIN package which I love. I have to hold off on BO until there is a
good option for this problem.

Now the only choice is Solarspeed, who I respect but with euro conversion it
will cost me about $1000 to get spamassassin for 4 servers versus $200 from
Brian.  Michael any chance of a change to your price structure? Multiple
server discount? Maybe charge for quarterly updates and charge separately
for custom support or something.  If the price was a little more reasonable
for a company running multiple servers I would do it.

The ironic thing is when I moved to Virtbiz (Shout out to Chris!) he
suggested that rather than pack lots of accounts on one server (as I had
been doing), that instead go with less expensive smaller servers but more of
them.  This would lead to better bandwidth and smaller points of failure.
Well he was right and I am very pleased with the four servers I have and I
am planning on a fifth soon too, but in this one respect it really makes
life tough having to buy 4 expensive copies of something where when Brian
charged $50 it was no problem.  Heck Brian gave out the installer but I
still made sure I bought multiple copies of everything because he deserved
the support.

As I said this is not a rant at Michael or Solarspeed, I simply thought if a
lot of us speak up he might see there is a lot of volume to do here, maybe
though a US reseller capable of support.  Anybody?

M Aronoff out
West Hills, CA