[BlueOnyx:00272] Re: upgrading to BlueOnyx ?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jan 17 09:55:10 -05 2009

Hi Gerald,

> Yes, we will all miss Brian,

Absolutely! He's a great guy and will be missed. Although we've been competing
directly (business wise) we always had a great working relationship and traded
ideas, concepts and code towards the greater goal.

> If you remember we originally attempted to 'sell' the install CD.

Hehehe. Yeah, I remember that. And that CD really got things started. Before
that BlueOnyx was just available as tarball install with a setup script.
Although it installed easily enough, people were discouraged by that. Once
Brian's CD was out, things really got started.

> Then, some business, I think "firstlight networks" which was pushing
> TLAS came out with a free CBQ install CD.
> I don't recall, but it was not anything near as good as Brian's
> installer.

Yeah, you have to keep in mind there that Hisao worked for TLAS and had helped
them to port the RaQ550 source code to Turbolinux. At the same time he heavily
invested time into working on BlueQuartz. Turobolinux TLAS had a slower
release cycle than BlueQuartz, so pretty quickly BlueQuartz became more
sophisticated than TLAS.

Then throw in Brian's BlueQuartz CD and you had people wondering: "Why should
I pay $950 US for TLAS, if the free BlueQuartz is better?" So people started
voting with their feet and their wallets.

Additionally "that very company that sold TLAS preinstalled on hardware and
named it something else" started alienating third party software vendors, so
quickly they had a platform for which no third party software was available
anymore. The rest is history. :o)