[BlueOnyx:00316] Re: Customers unable to use mail services

Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. kenmarcus at precisionweb.net
Mon Jan 19 15:47:17 -05 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Moen" <alexm at ndtel.com>
To: <blueonyx at blueonyx.it>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 9:15 AM
Subject: [BlueOnyx:00300] Customers unable to use mail services

> Hi all,
>
> Have not yet upgraded to BlueOnyx, planning to as soon as time allows and
> I can test it out.
>
> Until then, we have a NuOnce BlueCentOS server that is experiencing the
> "check pass; user unknown" and "PAM_pwdb[22983]: get passwd; pwdb:
> structure
> is no longer valid" errors.  The fix, according to Google, was at
> http://www.nuonce.net/bq-howto.php?action=view&id=23... which is no longer
> in
> existence. I realize that this is a mailing list for BlueOnyx, and I
> apologize for the off-topic post, but this seems to be where the expertise
> for
> BlueCentOS has moved to since the other list is off-air.
>
> Does anyone have an answer for this?  We have a couple of those really
> impatient customers that are nasty if things don't go perfectly right on
> this
> server, and we had to reboot it twice last week to get this problem
> solved.  Unfortunately, we don't find out about the problem until they are
> upset
> and worked into a frenzy.
>
> TIA,
>
> Alex

Alex

Generally just rebooting the server will fix it easily. If your server is
still undergoing a Brute Froce password guessing attack, then the problem
will recur right away.

Or try

/etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot stop
#fix hung processes using
for pid in `ps ax | grep openwebmail | grep -v grep | awk {'print $1'}`; do
kill -9 $pid; done
for pid in `ps ax | grep proftpd | grep -v grep | awk {'print $1'}`; do
kill -9 $pid; done
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
/etc/rc.d/init.d/dbrecover start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot start