[BlueOnyx:01201] Re: problem with Nuonce script installer

Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. kenmarcus at precisionweb.net
Mon May 11 12:01:05 -05 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Kuhnert" <greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com>

> Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. wrote:
>> I thought I'd mention a couple of experiences I've had with the Nuonce
>> script installer.
>>
>> First I had a VPS customer try to install a script on a subdomain using
>> something like  ../somedir  as the directory path. That deleted his whole
>> home directory.
> When installing from a bluequartz CD, there is a pretty clear warning
> that your drives will be formatted.
>
> The webapp installer is the same. It gives a pretty clear warning...
> "Please choose your directory carefully. Any directory you choose will
> be over written. If you have any data in that directory, it will be
> REMOVED prior to installing. This is to ensure the software you are
> installing has no issues. Please manually make backups first, before you
> continue."
>> Then I myself on a different server changed the path of the directory,
>> possibly I left off a slash, and it did the same thing, deleting the
>> whole
>> home directory.  Maybe I started a second attempt before the first was
>> complete.  In any case it caused the same problem. This was on a
>> standalone
>> server so I had to CMU restore the 100 + sites. Then I had made a script
>> copy back in all the inboxes which did not restore. The mbox files were
>> in
>> the backup but for some reason did not restore.
>>
> This is a little more alarming / concerning. Logically, the only thing
> that can do that would be if the user had their home directory in CCE
> pointing to /home
>
> If you or anyone else has any details about this behaviour, I'd love to
> hear about it so that the root cause can be fixed in newer installers.
>
> Speaking of bugfixes, there are already a number of changes to the
> installer that are now available. The main fix was to some of the
> upgrade scripts that were not working as expected. The fixed installer
> is available at no charge to anyone who has purchased any NuOnce or
> Compass webapplication modules. Contact me off list if you require more
> information.

Greg

I was not using any script from your site. This was one I had gotten from
Nuonce.

Basically I don't think any combination of entries in the directory path
should delete 100 web sites at once.

>>installing from a bluequartz CD
And it's not related to the BQ installer. I was referring to the Nuonce
installer app where you can install things like WordPress on sites.

----
Ken Marcus
Ecommerce Web Hosting by
Precision Web Hosting, Inc.