[BlueOnyx:02841] Re: metamail package

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Nov 8 02:48:20 -05 2009

Hi JW,

> I'm wanting to use metamail on a BlueOnyx system, and it does not seem
> to be in any of the repositories.
> Does anybody know if there is a reason why it's not in the standard
> repositories?

There are so many tools, programs and utilities dealing with mail in one form
or other, that you'll hardly find the more exotic or obscure ones in a
mainstream distribution.

> Is anybody else using it?

On BlueOnyx? I doubt it. For BlueOnyx we don't need metamail and apparently
CentOS doesn't have it in their repository either. Funnily enough we do have
mailcap, which is used by metamail according to the RPM info:

[root@# yum info mailcap.noarch
[...]
Installed Packages
Name       : mailcap
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 2.1.23
Release    : 1.fc6
Size       : 18 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Associates helper applications with particular file types.
License    : public domain
		The mailcap file is used by the metamail program.  Metamail
		reads the mailcap file to determine how it should display
		non-text or multimedia material.

		Basically, mailcap associates a particular type of filewith a
		particular program that a mail agent or other program can call
		in order to handle the file.

		Mailcap should be installed to allow certain programs to be able to
		handle non-text files.

> There is a warning on the system about using non-certified repositories:
>
>         cat /etc/yum.repos.d/0_WARNING.txt

Yeah, too many people messed up their BlueQuartz or BlueOnyx boxes by tying
them into RPMforge and then doing a "yum update". Hence we put that warning
there.