[BlueOnyx:02964] Re: Installing BQ packages on BX...

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Fri Nov 27 22:22:00 -05 2009

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
>> On 27 Nov 2009, at 22:34, Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
>>
>>> Two products from NuOnce were said to work find on BlueOnyx: AW
>>> Stats and Open Webmail.
>>>
>> *were* said.
>>
>>>  How do you get them to install?  When I try to install them through
>>> the GUI, it fails with an error about them not being made for this
>>> server applicance.
>>>
>> It is correct. Get BX specific ones. Sorry.
>>

> Why is the only solution always to throw more money at something?  I
> understand the issue with using unsupported software, but before all of
> those BQ customers of NuOnce throw their software away and start over or
> simply elect to stay on BQ, there is an answer.

Let me give you an illustration to give you an alternate viewpoint.

I owned a mobile phone a few years ago. I loved my phone. I bought all
the latest gadgets, and even had a phone cradle installed in my car. My
phone however met a fateful end, and needed replacing. No matter how
much I tried, that model of phone was no longer available, because it
was an old superceeded model.

I upgraded, and replaced it with a newer model that had lots of cool new
functions. The newer one didnt fit in the cradel though. If I wanted to
get this new model to work with my car, I had to purchase a new car kit.
> If you are setting up a new machine and want to install NuOnce OWM or AW
> Stats, install from the BlueOnyx-5.3-20090405 ISO, then skip the YUM
> update
> option at the end of the configuration.  <snip>
And I could have possibly done something similar with with my old mobile
phone. Pull out a few wires, a bit of gaff tape, a few plugs and
sockets, and I can connect it to my car. Time invested - half a day.
Risk of killing my new phone: I have not done this before, so I would
have to say medium. New phone waranty: Void. The cost of replacing my
new phone after I botched it up: Too much!

The fact is, Michael decided to block old NuOnce apps for a reason.
There were just too many horror stories of people who had damaged their
systems out there. Even if you did want to install the old files, its
still not always a good idea. Many of the older NuOnce packages contain
bugs / vulnerabilities in the open-source code included in the packages.

You may have read a post from Chris that mentions I offer free upgrades
to recent versions. I just thought I'd clarify at this point to avoid
any ambiguity. For those that own NuOnce products, I have been providing
access to the most recent NuOnce released package upon provision of
NuOnce proof of purchase. Note: I do not provide the latest Compass
packages at no cost. This offer was made to allow a simple migration
path. The newer Compass released packages all install on top of the most
recent NuOnce version, but not necessarily older versions.

If you're really desperate, it's pretty easy to un-do the filter that
blocks instalation of nuonce packages onto BQ boxes, but you're on your
own after that.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |