[BlueOnyx:02962] Re: Installing BQ packages on BX...

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Nov 27 21:18:51 -05 2009

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> Why is the only solution always to throw more money at something?  I
> understand the issue with using unsupported software, but before all of
> those BQ customers of NuOnce throw their software away and start over or
> simply elect to stay on BQ, there is an answer.

Mmmm, well, for one thing the Nuonce software is pretty dated.  For
example, I don't think that the Nuonce AWStats ever got past 6.5x.  Both
the 3rd party vendors are now up to 6.9.    IIRC, 6.5 was vulnerable to
some injection problems, not to mention some out of date features.

Some of my customers really like the fact that SolarSpeed has an "inside
track" to the BlueOnyx platform, but of course Compass Networks has on
their website "If you have previously purchased NuOnce Networks products
and you would like to get a free upgrade to the most recent version,
please contact us."   So I think that takes away the "throw money at it"
angle.

> At either the BlueOnyx-5.3-20090801 version or the BlueOnyx-5.4-20091107
> version, the developers took out the compatibility for BQ software.  I guess
> that's one way to get people to buy the aftermarket packages...

If you only knew the number of support tickets we'd received from
customers installing BQ packages which would then either bork the system
from the start, or later would cause dependency problems... providers
like us were itching for a solution to that!

 From the viewpoint of the datacenter who sees a LOT of BlueQuartz and
BlueOnyx users, I would reiterate my strong recommendation to stay away
from the old BQ pkg's on BX.   Even paying "full price"... it's just not
enough money to risk stability.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services