[BlueOnyx:02973] Re: Installing BQ packages on BX...

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Sat Nov 28 16:03:33 -05 2009

> Why is the only solution always to throw more money at something?  I
> understand the issue with using unsupported software, but before all of
> those BQ customers of NuOnce throw their software away and start over or
> simply elect to stay on BQ, there is an answer.

I would just like to chime in and point out another option which I can't
  see talked about here....

Nearly all of the products we are talking about (AW Stats, Open Webmail,
etc.) are open source and free for anyone to install on their servers at
no cost at all.  Most have really good documentation and good support
setups.  Yes it's more mailing lists to join but I don't buy any extra
packages for the web interface tools I use on my servers and roll it all
myself.

There is nothing stopping you creating a site (webmail.example.com) and
installing it yourself.  Of course it is then up to you to make sure it
is installed properly/securely, and to update it whenever new versions
come out.  At the end of the day this is exactly what you are paying for
when you buy a pkg.

I highly recommend everyone have a test BX server (embrace some of the
free virtualisation products) and have a play.  We need more coders in
the world, people that like getting their hands dirty :-)

Dan