[BlueOnyx:02980] Re: Installing BQ packages on BX...

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sun Nov 29 09:20:43 -05 2009

Darrell,

I appreciate your observation of defensiveness on the list. I don't agree
but I think I can understand how you might have gotten to that observation.

I've been participating in one form or another since the cobalt-users days
when the RaQ4 was just coming out. For a long time my participation was
limited to just reading the list. This was because of experiences with one
person who, shall I say, abused the list though other members tried to be
helpful.

I think this list, overall, still feels the echoes of how a single person
can be very disruptive and is quick to try to keep things from heading
toward the uncivil. This more than other lists (only a few) I participate
in. I think this has worked well here and is a overall good thing for the
usefulness of the list and calm of the participants.

If you look at the suggestions offered like using Greg's or Michael's
official support mechanisms I hope you will find them of helpful motivation,
not obstructive, dismissive, or diminishing of your situation. I think the

My own experience with using support mechanisms with Michael and Greg and
been superb. Same for when Brian of Nuonce was still providing packages
before Greg picked up his business.

As I recall the question was originally about installing BQ packages on BX.
This is a very iffy proposition and can destabilize the entire server. For
me, I'd "roll my own" installation for a package that isn't available on BX
rather than shoe-horn in a BQ package. In the former I at least know exactly
what I did and hopefully can find the bounds. As one needs to have reliable
servers for a hundred or so clients on each server the risk just isn't worth
it. Finally, the small price of packages from Michael for BX packages and
those which will be coming from Greg make rolling your own more expensive
unless you consider your time free or nearly so.

I hope this helps with both the original question and some of the contextual
background to put the care to ensure the group stays helpful and welcome
into proper perspective.

	Thanks,
		-Stephanie