[BlueOnyx:02981] Re: Installing BQ packages on BX...

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Nov 29 09:58:45 -05 2009

Stephanie Sullivan wrote:
> I've been participating in one form or another since the cobalt-users days
> when the RaQ4 was just coming out. For a long time my participation was
> limited to just reading the list. This was because of experiences with one
> person who, shall I say, abused the list though other members tried to be
> helpful.

Oh geez... don't say the letter next to my Shift key!

> I think this list, overall, still feels the echoes of how a single person
> can be very disruptive and is quick to try to keep things from heading
> toward the uncivil. This more than other lists (only a few) I participate
> in. I think this has worked well here and is a overall good thing for the
> usefulness of the list and calm of the participants.

I hadn't really considered this before but that's pretty insightful,
actually.  On my workstation here I have "users" and "facts" mail going
back to mid-2005.  It's interesting to look back and see the
contributors that have remained constant, remember those that have gone
on to other projects.  And then you can see one individual pop in now
and then and pee in the pool.   Maybe some of us "oldtimers" (this is my
10th year in Cobalt-land) are very sensitive to that.

> My own experience with using support mechanisms with Michael and Greg and
> been superb. Same for when Brian of Nuonce was still providing packages
> before Greg picked up his business.

I have limited personal experience as our hosting business, and
therefore our server count, accounts for a very small portion of our
business.  However, the experience I have had with said vendors has
always been positive.  I know that a number of our customers monitor
and/or actively use this and the BQ list.  I get a lot of feedback from
our dedicated and colocation customers and I can't think of any
incidents where they've been dissatisfied with the level of expertise or
assistance.  I have gotten a few unsolicited "wow, this guy is great"
type messages.  We've never had cause to recommend AGAINST any vendor,
except maybe offer a little encouragement once or twice to think very
carefully before engaging the afore-mentioned malcontent.

> As I recall the question was originally about installing BQ packages on BX.
> This is a very iffy proposition and can destabilize the entire server. For
> me, I'd "roll my own" installation for a package that isn't available on BX
> rather than shoe-horn in a BQ package. In the former I at least know exactly
> what I did and hopefully can find the bounds. As one needs to have reliable
> servers for a hundred or so clients on each server the risk just isn't worth
> it. Finally, the small price of packages from Michael for BX packages and
> those which will be coming from Greg make rolling your own more expensive
> unless you consider your time free or nearly so.

Time is the one thing that cannot be bought.   Which may be the reason I
find a lot of value in the commercial packages.   When the time comes
(and it's fast approaching) to move our production hosting environment
to BX, you can bet we'll be doing some PKG shopping!  :)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services