[BlueOnyx:02565] Re: adding a standard disclaimer to all emails?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Oct 3 14:08:59 -05 2009

Hi Peter,

> Iam just looking at trying to find the easiest way of doing this - eg: in
> one place rather than 100!
>
>  As we have AV-SPAM, there is no mailscanner on the server?
>
>  Looks like the most resilliant solution will be to change each of the 100
> email clients.

No, the AV-SPAM doesn't use MailScanner. It uses SpamAssassin-Milter and Clam
AV + Clam AV Milter, which is a lot more effective and less resource hungry.

The AV-SPAM has no provisions in it to add a custom footer to mails. Sendmail
has no provisions for this either. With Postfix that's possible, but most
Postfix administrators would rather hack their right hand off than to admit to
their bosses that Postfix can do it (because it's a bad practice to do this at
the MTA level). :o)

It may be possible to add a footer to all mails with a custom Sendmail-Milter,
but after a quick Google search I only found Milters that also do a lot of
other things on the sidelines besides adding a footer (Mimedefang for example
- which does SPAM and virus filtering, too).

The problem here is that a milter that adds a footer must deconstruct each
message  (even simple text messages!), must split it into MIME conforming
parts and must then "piece" the mail (and the footer!) back together into a
single multipart MIME conforming message.

That adds quite a bit of extra overhead onto the mailserver and the milter for
this isn't really that simple either.