[BlueOnyx:06001] Acting as a Dynamic DNS server

User Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Thu Dec 2 22:19:45 -05 2010

Is there any way on a BlueOnyx server, to host DNS records for someone who
has a host with a dynamic IP address?

Every now and then I get people who have a server running at home or office
that for one reason or another has to be on a dynamic IP for a while. eg. a
fallover to 3G when DSL is down etc.

It would be nice if they could notify the BlueOnyx server, which hosts their
DNS records, that the IP has changed. I have seen various cleint programs
for doing that, even built into some DSL/3G routers now, but I don't know the
server side setup for handling that kind of thing.

Anyone done it?

- Ernie.