[BlueOnyx:06002] Re: Acting as a Dynamic DNS server

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Dec 2 22:58:26 -05 2010

User Ernie wrote:
> Is there any way on a BlueOnyx server, to host DNS records for someone who
> has a host with a dynamic IP address?
>
> Every now and then I get people who have a server running at home or office
> that for one reason or another has to be on a dynamic IP for a while. eg. a
> fallover to 3G when DSL is down etc.
>
> It would be nice if they could notify the BlueOnyx server, which hosts their
> DNS records, that the IP has changed. I have seen various cleint programs
> for doing that, even built into some DSL/3G routers now, but I don't know the
> server side setup for handling that kind of thing.
>
> Anyone done it?

It's not something that is possible through the BlueOnyx system.
Sausalito was never set up / intended for such a purpose.   To build
such a functionality in, I would imagine there would be no small amount
of re-working the base code.

Unless, of course, you're just using the BX server as a DNS slave.  In
that case, if it's pulling a zone file from another DNS server, then it
would simply update as it would in any other situation.   Keep in mind,
however, that you'll still be fighting DNS propagation.  No matter how
low you set TTL's, caching at the individual ISP's runs the very real
risk of updating right about the time the "real" connection comes back
online, and then you'll have to wait for propagation after you change
back to the "real" IP address again.   So that whole mess just doesn't
seem enticing.

For consumer-level hosting on a dynamic network I might recommend a
service like no-ip.com or dyndns.com.

If it's something that needs to be relied upon, I'd invest in the
services of a friendly datacenter.  Then you can do away with the worry!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services