[BlueOnyx:06075] Re: ADAPTEC AIC-9404

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Dec 10 11:10:47 -05 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 20:19 -0600, Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> Sent: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:18:57 -0600
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:05803] Re: ADAPTEC AIC-9404
>
> > On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:57 +0100, Taco Scargo wrote:
> > > That is indeed a possibility.
> > > Wondering though why the BlueOnyx CD did not work.
> > >
> > > Did you download the latest version ?
> >
> > AFAIK, used BlueOnyx-5.5-20100519.iso
> > It crashes just after "running/sbin/loader"
> > I also notice that it crashes at the first disk access.
> >
> > I installed vanilla CentOS-5.4 then used the BlueOnyx tarball
> > all seems to be working OK. Except RAID is not working

> > Gerald
>

> Loose the RAID Gerald.
>
> Its probably another of those "software" RAIDS that require drivers
> loaded.  You're better turning off the builtin RAID in the BIOS, and
> letting BlueOnyx do the RAID using the Linux software.
>
> That's what we did for all our new HP servers - and it works
> perfectly.  But with the builtin RAID turned on - nothing.  Exact same
> symptoms you're seeing.

Still having this issue with the adaptec raid controller.
It is a hardware raid, it actually controls the hard drives.
the drives are configured as 'hot-swap'
I can turn RAID off on the controller and in the BIOS.
Still BlueOnyx install Crashes.

I can install a minimum system using the CentOS-5.5 CDs
then use the BlueOnyx tar-ball-installer and all works well
http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=tar-ball-installer

Problem is I have a group of clients that own numerous servers with the
adaptec controller and they want to convert the systems to BlueOnyx.

I have completed several installs using the above method, but it is
rather time consuming.

I would think I may be able to copy some files from the normal
CentOS-5.5 cd to the BlueOnyx install Cd or vice-versa. years ago I
built an install CD using disk 1 of something like version 3.8

isolinux.cfg looks the same except that the BlueOnyx uses the kickstart
config.

Maybe the current developers can give me a clue...

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Gerald