[BlueOnyx:06077] Re: ADAPTEC AIC-9404

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Fri Dec 10 17:41:21 -05 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 10:10 -0600, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 20:19 -0600, Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> > Sent: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:18:57 -0600
> > Subject: [BlueOnyx:05803] Re: ADAPTEC AIC-9404

> > > AFAIK, used BlueOnyx-5.5-20100519.iso
> > > It crashes just after "running/sbin/loader"
> > > I also notice that it crashes at the first disk access.
> > >
> > > I installed vanilla CentOS-5.4 then used the BlueOnyx tarball
> > > all seems to be working OK. Except RAID is not working

> > > Gerald
> >

> > Loose the RAID Gerald.
> >
> > Its probably another of those "software" RAIDS that require drivers
> > loaded.  You're better turning off the builtin RAID in the BIOS, and
> > letting BlueOnyx do the RAID using the Linux software.
> >
> > That's what we did for all our new HP servers - and it works
> > perfectly.  But with the builtin RAID turned on - nothing.  Exact same
> > symptoms you're seeing.
> >
> Still having this issue with the adaptec raid controller.
> It is a hardware raid, it actually controls the hard drives.
> the drives are configured as 'hot-swap'
> I can turn RAID off on the controller and in the BIOS.
> Still BlueOnyx install Crashes.
>
> I can install a minimum system using the CentOS-5.5 CDs
> then use the BlueOnyx tar-ball-installer and all works well
> http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=tar-ball-installer
>
> Problem is I have a group of clients that own numerous servers with the
> adaptec controller and they want to convert the systems to BlueOnyx.
>
> I have completed several installs using the above method, but it is
> rather time consuming.
>
> I would think I may be able to copy some files from the normal
> CentOS-5.5 cd to the BlueOnyx install Cd or vice-versa. years ago I
> built an install CD using disk 1 of something like version 3.8
>
> isolinux.cfg looks the same except that the BlueOnyx uses the kickstart
> config.
>
> Maybe the current developers can give me a clue...
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

I copied the files from isolinux to isolinux on the BQ with the
exception of isolinux/isolinux.cfg
this file has append ks=cdrom:/ks/kickstart.cfg initrd=initrd.img text
All went fine on boot and start of the install, but got to a point where
it indicate that the CD was not a CentOS-5.5 install CD.
At this point I put the CentOS-5.5 CD in, then it indicated it couldn't
find "group blueonyx" I said to continue and the install them completed.
many of the blueonyx things were there, it partitioned and formatted the
disk properly with RAID1, disabled selinux. did not install the BlueOnyx
GUI.

Seems like if I could make the cd make itself recognized as a CentOS-5.5
CD It might work.

ideas...

Gerald