[BlueOnyx:06090] Re: cant run any commands on one of our BlueOnyxboxes

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sun Dec 12 14:03:50 -05 2010

I completely agree with Chris - the backdoor that was used to gain access in the first place may still be there.  Plus, any rootkits installed are still there.  THAT is a dangerous situation.

I'd recommend keeping that box off-line while you do cmuExports of all sites.  Build a new box and cumImport them all into that new box.  Before you import - make sure that the new box is fully up-to-date to minimize vulnerabilities.

And after importing everything/getting it working - make a complete box backup before putting it back on line.  That way, you've got a emergency restore in case it happens again.  After all - the vulnerability/exploit may have been in something in one of those sites.  And as soon as you put it back on line - this could happen again.

I'd wait till after I got the box and sites back up - but you need to carefully check the logs to see if you can spot how this happened.  If not - you're just putting that rebuilt box out there and crossing your fingers that it doesn't happen again.

Chuck