[BlueOnyx:06197] Re: BX upgrade path

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Dec 24 12:11:54 -05 2010

Jeff Folk wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Florian Arzberger wrote:

You might be surprised at how many P3's, and even a smattering of P2's
are running around our datacenter.  One thing I like about the P4's (and
even more about the P3's) is that they don't generate a lot of waste
heat.   Some of these newer multi-core jobs are like rackable space
heaters.  And in 99% of cases, gross overkill for the task at hand.

> Exactly... Plenty for running the three WP sites and my email, the ClamAV and Spamassassin milters are quite fast. My limiting factor is more likely our business class DSL. I rarely see CPU usage over 10%, except when building/installing software... I love my HP DC1700, 3 GHz P4 HT, 2.5 GB, 4 x 320GB (SATA laptop drives) RAID 10

Send it to me and we'll fix that pesky DSL bottleneck for you with full
100Mbps or GigE to the Internet.  ;)   (I'm spoiled... I can't stand
being home poking along on my lowly 30Mbps FiOS.)

Slightly OT, but... Actually, we're one of the few datacenters that
actually welcomes individual customers with tower-type equipment.  Even
though many mini-towers will fit in a rack on their side, that takes up
3-4U and isn't the most efficient use of space.  We have a special area
in the datacenter with bakers rack shelves to accommodate non-rackable
form-factors.  We've got customers with everything from Mac Mini's to
pretty large AS/400 boxes over there.  But mostly a lot of desktop/tower
stuff.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services