[BlueOnyx:06204] Re: Traffic monitoring - 95th percentile

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Dec 27 10:21:18 -05 2010

Stephanie Sullivan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have a tool they use to track traffic on interfaces via snmp?
> Specifically I have a sudden need to track 95th percentile bandwidth usage
> for a new client and I'd like to be able to track it on a weekly and monthly
> manner with reports (not just graphs, though they are nice). Suggestions
> and/or recommendations are appreciated.
>
> I have done googling and mrtg plus rrd and several other tools looked
> promising but don't seem to offer the 95th percentile computation. Sigh.

We use Cacti to monitor in excess of 1000 ports.  Cacti uses rrdtool.
It's a snap to install, especially if you've got access to a Debian box
("apt-get install cacti" and you're ready to roll).   We use Cacti to
read switch ports via SNMP so we have graphing records of all Layer 2
(Ethernet) traffic.   We do not do any sort of Layer 3 sniffing to break
out traffic by protocol.   Our customers can handle that on their
equipment if they choose.

Depending on what kind of reporting you need, you may be able to use the
"thold" plugin for Cacti which you can get from http://cactiusers.org/
  I'm not sure that fits your bill, since I'm not sure what kind of
reporting you're needing, or what kind of service you're providing to
the customer.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services