[BlueOnyx:03524] Re: admin user quota error with ftp

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Feb 8 19:03:56 -05 2010

Bret Hughes wrote:
> I am getting a quota exceeded error in /var/log/secure when the admin
> user tries to upload via ftp to a vhost directory.  I can use winscp and
> the ftp works if I turn off quotas (quotaoff /home ) but the server
> owner maintains more than half the sites on the box and the developers
> used the admin user to upload when they were on the old bluequartz box
> and they would like to keep it that way on this blueonyx one.

Eeek!  I would not recommend operating like this.   Although it's easier
for a lazy admin so multiple logins don't have to be remembered, you may
wind up creating a lot of ownership/permission errors down the road with
dynamic sites.

 From an administrative standpoint, I would consider it sloppy and
ill-advised to manage all content as admin.

> I cannot find anywhere that the quota is set for the admin user.

This I'm not sure about.   My understanding is that admin could
theoretically consume any bit of quota on the system.  Of course, you
should make sure that your group quota for the sites is adequate.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would strongly encourage you to use this
opportunity to get your admins to clean up their act and manage sites as
site users.   Take the time and trouble now, or later when you run into
other problems...  just my opinion.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services