[BlueOnyx:03539] Re: admin user quota error with ftp

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Tue Feb 9 15:19:50 -05 2010

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Bret,
>

>> I am getting a quota exceeded error in /var/log/secure when the admin user
>> tries to upload via ftp to a vhost directory.  I can use winscp and the ftp
>> works if I turn off quotas (quotaoff /home ) but the server owner maintains
>> more than half the sites on the box and the developers used the admin user
>> to upload when they were on the old bluequartz box and they would like to
>> keep it that way on this blueonyx one.
>>
>>  I cannot find anywhere that the quota is set for the admin user.
>>

> Like Chris said: Turning off quota for /home is a bad idea. It breaks all
> kinds of things and has ill side effects. The longer you have it off, the
> worse it'll get and the harder it'll be to ever sort the quota out again.
>
> User "admin" has unlimited quota. So he can indeed own as many files and
> consume as much space as you've got available.
>
> However: You WILL get over quota warnings if the site you upload to as "admin"
> is running out of quota. This is to make sure that even "admin" cannot
> "overstuff" a site with data. Because if he does, then email to users of that
> site will bounce as the users cannot receive any more mails due to the site
> itself being over quota.
>
> So if you get an over quota warning while uploading files as "admin", then the
> correct fix is to go to the site in question in the GUI and to increase that
> sites disk quota.

Thanks guys.  This is what I have learned so far:

The error I was getting from proftpd in /var/log/secure was not from the
admin quota but from the site one as Michael suggests.  I turned up the
allowed disk space for the site in question but the real issue is, I
believe, that the usage is miscalculated somehow.

In the GUI and drilling down to the site in question I get a usage of
8999.87 MB and since the max allowed was 500MB the site was thought to
be in error.  I jacked it way up for now so they can continue to work.

There are almost no files there at all

 [root at jobob site61]# du -sh *
36K     logs
4.0K    users
40K     web
68K     webalizer
[root at jobob site61]#

get_quotas.pl indicates that there is significant disk usage as well:

site61  9215864 51200000

I am currently looking at the perl code to see if I can get a grip on
why the usage is so out of kilter.  I have a sneaking feeling it will be
due to the user being used in so many different places.

Argh.

Thanks again.

Bret