[BlueOnyx:03550] Re: admin user quota error with ftp

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Tue Feb 9 21:44:02 -05 2010

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Bret Hughes <bhughes at elevating.com>
Sent: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:19:50 -0600
Subject: [BlueOnyx:03539] Re: admin user quota error with ftp

> Michael Stauber wrote:Hi
Bret,

I am getting a quota exceeded error in /var/log/secure when the
admin
user
tries to upload via ftp to a vhost directory. I can use winscp and the
ftp
works if I turn off quotas (quotaoff /home ) but the server owner
maintains
more than half the sites on the box and the developers used the admin
user
to upload when they were on the old bluequartz box and they would like
keep it that way on this blueonyx one.

I cannot find anywhere that the quota is set for the admin
user.

Like Chris said: Turning off quota for /home is a bad idea. It breaks all

kinds of things and has ill side effects. The longer you have it off, the

worse it'll get and the harder it'll be to ever sort the quota out
again.

User "admin" has unlimited quota. So he can indeed own as many files and

consume as much space as you've got
available.

However: You WILL get over quota warnings if the site you upload to as "admin"

is running out of quota. This is to make sure that even "admin" cannot

"overstuff" a site with data. Because if he does, then email to users of that

site will bounce as the users cannot receive any more mails due to the site

itself being over
quota.

So if you get an over quota warning while uploading files as "admin", then the

correct fix is to go to the site in question in the GUI and to increase that

sites disk
quota.

Thanks guys.  This is what Ihave learned so far:

> The error I was getting from proftpd in /var/log/secure was not fromthe admin quota but from the site one as Michael suggests.  I turned upthe allowed disk space for the site in question but the real issue is,I believe, that the usage is miscalculated somehow.
>
> In the GUI and drilling down to the site in question I get a usage of8999.87 MB and since the max allowed was 500MB the site was thought tobe in error.  I jacked it way up for now so they can continue to work.
>
> There are almost no files there at all
>
>  [root at jobob site61]# du -sh *
> 36K     logs
> 4.0K    users
> 40K     web
> 68K     webalizer
> [root at jobob site61]#
>
> get_quotas.pl indicates that there is significant disk usage as well:
>
> site61  9215864 51200000
>
> I am currently looking at the perl code to see if I can get a grip onwhy the usage is so out of kilter.  I have a sneaking feeling it willbe due to the user being used in so many different places.
>
> Argh.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Bret

Bret,

Don't forget to do a " du -hs .* " when in that site's home directory (note that period in front of the *).  You can have Gigs and Gigs in user directories, but a " du -hs * " in the site's home directory only shows the /users subdirectory, not the /.users.  So all you'll ever get back is 4.0K.  Check the /.users directory to get a handle on how much the users have total in their subdirectories.

By the way - same thing when checking the sites.  If you go to /home/sites and do a " du -hs * ", you'll get zero for all sites.  But go to /home/.sites and do the same thing -- you'll get the actual size that every site is using on the hard drive.  This number SHOULD match up with the GUI indication of how much drive space a site is using.  If they're more than a bit different, one of that site's users may have data elsewhere on the drive.  Or Admin has been storing stuff in the sites.

Bottom line - the wildcard * doesn't match hidden directories when running the disk usage command.

Chuck