[BlueOnyx:03556] Re: Php 5.2 ?

Paul paul at planetcentral.net
Wed Feb 10 12:24:05 -05 2010

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:

> We should make this an FAQ someplace... Hmmmm, perhaps when I find all
> that free time I've been looking for!
>
> To answer this question (again), however:  The BlueOnyx distribution
> uses CentOS 5 packages.  If/when CentOS updates PHP (or any other
> package), that will be included with BlueOnyx.   CentOS will move to PHP
> 5.2 as soon as Red Hat moves RHEL5, since CentOS is designed to be 100%
> compatible with RHEL.
>
> Now, it may be possible to install php 5.2 using YUM by adding the
> testing repo to your YUM config, but I have not tried this and would not
> recommend trying this on a production system before you give it a good
> test on a dev box.

Chris,

The reason why i asked was because php 5.2.3 is sat (and has been for
ages) in the Centos testing repository for ages now...

php-5.2.3-3.el5s2.i386.rpm
<http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/php-5.2.3-3.el5s2.i386.rpm>
	03-Sep-2008 16:23 	1.3M

Yes, thats Sept 2008. 17 months out of date!

I guess that it wouldnt be possible to set BO to update from the testing
repo and the UI still work, from whats been previously mentioned!

The daft thing about all of this is that i can go get a package from
Solarspeed for £45.50, however a years worth of hosting is less than
that for multiple sites!!

Sounds like i might as well trash my "small sites home server" and buy
some hosting instead, purely due to "current market rates"!

Paul