[BlueOnyx:03557] Re: Php 5.2 ?

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Wed Feb 10 12:35:23 -05 2010

Paul wrote:
> Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
>
>> We should make this an FAQ someplace... Hmmmm, perhaps when I find all
>> that free time I've been looking for!
>>
>> To answer this question (again), however:  The BlueOnyx distribution
>> uses CentOS 5 packages.  If/when CentOS updates PHP (or any other
>> package), that will be included with BlueOnyx.   CentOS will move to PHP
>> 5.2 as soon as Red Hat moves RHEL5, since CentOS is designed to be 100%
>> compatible with RHEL.
>>
>> Now, it may be possible to install php 5.2 using YUM by adding the
>> testing repo to your YUM config, but I have not tried this and would not
>> recommend trying this on a production system before you give it a good
>> test on a dev box.
>>

> Chris,
>
> The reason why i asked was because php 5.2.3 is sat (and has been for
> ages) in the Centos testing repository for ages now...
>
> php-5.2.3-3.el5s2.i386.rpm
> <http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/php-5.2.3-3.el5s2.i386.rpm>
> 	03-Sep-2008 16:23 	1.3M
>

> Yes, thats Sept 2008. 17 months out of date!
>
> I guess that it wouldnt be possible to set BO to update from the testing
> repo and the UI still work, from whats been previously mentioned!
>
> The daft thing about all of this is that i can go get a package from
> Solarspeed for £45.50, however a years worth of hosting is less than
> that for multiple sites!!
>
> Sounds like i might as well trash my "small sites home server" and buy
> some hosting instead, purely due to "current market rates"!
>
> Paul
Yes it bites.  We bit the bullet and paid the $71 US for the solarspeed
pkg yesterday.  FYI:  it installed without a hitch and the client is a
happy camper.  I found a blog entry where a guy did the whole thing
manually but since I am new to both Blue* and this server owner I
decided that the $ was worth it to get it done quickly and not hose the
rest of the system.

Bret