[BlueOnyx:03566] Re: Understanding certifications

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Feb 10 22:23:15 -05 2010

Hi Jim,

Jim Dory wrote:
> I just purchased and installed a cert for our webserver. (with lots of
> great help from Gerald).
>
> I think it is sort of working. If I type in:
> https://www.nomealaska.org/webmail it seems to work fine. I'll have to
> figure out the proper way to redirect the http://..../webmail to
> https://.../webmail .

This may help you:
http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/force-ssl-htaccess.html

> But it doesn't work for https://www.nomealaska.org:444/login.php. I get
> an error indicating something isn't right. But
> http://www.nomealaska.org:444/login works but isn't secure. However,
> after entering credentials and hitting login button, it immediately
> switches to https. I think this is too late though, isn't it? Seems the
> login page where you enter your credentials should be https.

port 444 is served by admserv, which is a separate instance of Apache.
Therefore, it doesn't share the cert that you put on the site.

However, you can try https://www.nomealaska.org:81 and then accept the
self-signed certificate if you really want to have the login page under SSL.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services