[BlueOnyx:03573] Re: Understanding certifications

Jim Dory jdory at nomealaska.org
Thu Feb 11 12:25:55 -05 2010

On 2/10/2010 6:23 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:

> However, you can try https://www.nomealaska.org:81 and then accept the
> self-signed certificate if you really want to have the login page under SSL.

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. When you say "

if you really want to have the login page under SSL

" I wonder what you mean.

I would think this would be good policy to have people log in securely
when traveling. I'm about to add several users and wanted to give them
instructions on how to not only check email when traveling but manage
vacation messages and perhaps spam or whatever when they log in. On
Bluequartz I had openwebmail which allowed managing vacation messages
within that program, but looks like now you have to log in to the user's
personal server page to do that. So if they're sitting in an insecure
place with wireless - a hotel or coffee shop - logging in -  I figured
SSL would be a good idea as they enter their username and password. Is
this unnecessary do you think?

--
Jim Dory
Engineering