[BlueOnyx:03572] Subdomain questions

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Thu Feb 11 10:32:52 -05 2010

I am trying to get my head around what BO calls subdomains.  As near as
I can tell it is not really subdomains in the dns sense but simply
additional hosts with the default document root in a subdirectory of the
original site.

Is this correct?  The developer was quite excited to be able to create
"subdomains" and I was kind of going "huh?"

This bubbled up to me since they have some sites that require php's
safe_mode to be off for some reason ( I have not been told they wanted
to spend money on my looking at it yet) and even though they turned off
safe_mode for the parent www site the 'subdomain' dev does not have the
same setting and cannot find a way to turn it off.

I found the apache conf file in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/subdomains/site[sitenum].dev.conf but no include
file.  It is not much more than a simple virtual host config  Can I edit
the dev.conf file and add some php directives there without it getting
overwritten later?

Would they be better off just adding another site called dev with no
aliases and no autodns so they can dink with the environment at will?
I am assuming that we can manually add an A record for the dev site in
the dns setup.  If I left the autodns set would it do the "right thing"
and just add the dev host to the existing named.conf for that domain?

Any  help appreciated.  Pointers to docs or articles about how this is
envisioned to work would be appreciated too.

Bret