[BlueOnyx:03579] Re: Understanding certifications

Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc kenlists at precisionweb.net
Fri Feb 12 15:53:36 -05 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Dory" <jdory at nomealaska.org>
<blueonyx at blueonyx.it>
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:40 AM
Subject: [BlueOnyx:03574] Re: Understanding certifications

> On 2/10/2010 7:25 PM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure it's his browser
>>> He did an eception and imported a bad cert.
>>> now the good cert won't work
>>> Try a different browser of PC
>>>
>> Works here
>> i can view cert and so forth
>>
>> Gerald
>>
>> ____
>
> Well, here it works if I just type in https://www.nomealaska.org, but
> not the login page. As pointed out, the login page is part of the
> admserv so I'll look at that. I've copied over the cert from the
> /home/..../certs directory to the /etc/admserv/certs/ directory and
> restarted admserv successfully, but still getting an error on the
> webpage: https://www.nomealaska.org:444/login.php . So I can pursue that
> further. Maybe that is a browser issue or something.
>
> Appreciate the responses - many thanks.   /jim

Jim

To avoid customer confusion and questions about selfsigned certs, what I do
is set  the  /admin to redirect to a secure url from the start.
E.g.
http://www.precisionweb.net/admin
goes to
https://server79.secure-access.net:81/login.php

The method to do that (on a BQ server) is edit
/etc/httpd/conf.d/bluequartz.conf
and change the first section to be the secure url.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}            !-d
RewriteRule .*                          https://%1:81/error/forbidden.html
[L,R]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
RewriteRule ^/admin/?$
https://server79.secure-access.net:81/login.php [L,R]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
RewriteRule ^/siteadmin/?$
https://server79.secure-access.net:81/login.php [L,R]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
RewriteRule ^/personal/?$
https://server79.secure-access.net:81/login.php [L,R]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                ^([^:]+)
RewriteRule ^/login/?$
https://server79.secure-access.net:81/login.php [L,R]

----
Ken Marcus