[BlueOnyx:03588] Re: cmuImport

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Feb 14 01:04:01 -05 2010

Hi JW Simpson,

> Looking at the code, it appears to me that the whole point of the chains
> acctin and acctout is to keep the "accounting" process from mutilating
> the INPUT and OUTPUT chains?

Correct.

> The statement "Every hour the cron script /etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic
> produces log entries which are interpreted ones a night
> by /etc/cron.daily/logrotate which calls analog." that I found at
> http://www.kaffeesud.org/index.php?id=28 makes me think that I need more
> information.
>
> What functionality do we lose by deleting the cronjob?

The built in traffic statistics will no longer be able to accumulate web
traffic for sites. However, this typically is no big loss, as the statistics
generated by the accounting rules are way to inaccurate anyway and just too
rudimentary. Webalizer gives you a lot better information on that anyway.

> What is the appropriate procedure for adding firewall rules that won't
> be overwritten by the script, as an alternative to removing the script?

There are a couple of imagineable ways. Typically you'd still get rid of
/etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic and would incorporated the rules from the traffic
accounting into your own firewall rules.

> Will the removal of this file break the functionality of the analog or
> base-sitestats-scripts packages?

Not really - with the exception that the site's web traffic as reported by the
GUI will no longer be updating. But like said: Use Webalizer instead for a
better glimpse on the traffic of individual sites.