[BlueOnyx:03591] Re: cmuImport

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Sun Feb 14 08:06:56 -05 2010

Lines removed for clarity

> > What is the appropriate procedure for adding firewall rules that
> > won't be overwritten by the script, as an alternative to
> > removing thescript?
>
> There are a couple of imagineable ways. Typically you'd still get rid
> of /etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic and would incorporated the rules from
> the traffic accounting into your own firewall rules.
>
> > Will the removal of this file break the functionality of the analog
> > or base-sitestats-scripts packages?
>
> Not really - with the exception that the site's web traffic as
> reported by the GUI will no longer be updating. But like said: Use
> Webalizer instead for a better glimpse on the traffic of individual
> sites.

What I have done (as I use the server stats for transfer GB by IP) is to
create a firewall script. This is started as a service (/etc/init.d). This
is run after the stats portion of firewall setup is done.

It is important, if you care about the server stats, that the script
explicitly clean-up itself when shutdown. That it remove tables and counters
(if you use, for example, "recent" module based rules like me) is also
critical.

So, how the script specifically installs and removes is a lot like a good
software installer/remover. It should install without stepping on anything
important and when shutdown it should leave things like it was never there.

It's tedious to do this, but not very difficult.

Hope this helps. This approach works for me.

	-Stephanie