[BlueOnyx:03640] Re: Missing memory

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Feb 22 05:10:34 -05 2010

Hi Tjerk,

> How can I load the PAE kernel again? Will it change back on every update?
>
> [root at server3 ~]# uname -r
> 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
>
> kernel-PAE-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 is also available in /boot
>
> I changed this line in /etc/sysconfig/kernel:
> DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-PAE (was just ‘kernel’)
>
> Reboot still loads the other kernel…

Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf

In it is a line that starts with "default=" and that's followed by a number.
The number indicates which kernel to load from the list shown further below in
grub.conf

But note: It starts counting with "0", so the first kernel listed is the one
with the number "0".

Find the right kernel in the list and if its the third, then change the
"default=" line to read "default=2". Save the changes and reboot.