[BlueOnyx:03693] Re: Unable to create new sites

Steve Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Thu Feb 25 18:53:29 -05 2010

On 25 Feb 2010, at 23:36, David Booth wrote:
> These are questions this mortal can only wonder about. To me, the
> cobalt engine is ineffable.

The Cobalt database is very simple, and remarkable complex at the same
time. Replacing it would be a mammoth task. There are thousands of
BlueOnyx servers out there with data already in the database,
'upgrading' it is not a simple task. If we can gather evidence as to
what specific events cause the index to get out of sync. If we can
work that out, and prove it is a bug and not disk corruption/crashes
etc then we can probably fix the current database (if indeed it is at
fault). When it is working its a perfectly viable system.
Unfortunately getting specific data rather than people saying 'i got
that a few times' is rather tricky. The plural of 'anecdote' is not
'data'. If we can get the exact log entries for when it *breaks*,
rather than an error caused by it being *broken* then that gives us a
damned good base to start looking at. If anyone gets that a related
error message, by all means send me your entire /var/log/messages back
for a week and I'll read it line by line if i have to!