[BlueOnyx:03697] Re: Unable to create new sites

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Fri Feb 26 04:13:52 -05 2010

Steve Howes wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2010, at 23:36, David Booth wrote:
>
>> These are questions this mortal can only wonder about. To me, the
>> cobalt engine is ineffable.
>>

> The Cobalt database is very simple, and remarkable complex at the same
> time. Replacing it would be a mammoth task. There are thousands of
> BlueOnyx servers out there with data already in the database,
> 'upgrading' it is not a simple task. If we can gather evidence as to
> what specific events cause the index to get out of sync. If we can
> work that out, and prove it is a bug and not disk corruption/crashes
> etc then we can probably fix the current database (if indeed it is at
> fault). When it is working its a perfectly viable system.
> Unfortunately getting specific data rather than people saying 'i got
> that a few times' is rather tricky. The plural of 'anecdote' is not
> 'data'. If we can get the exact log entries for when it *breaks*,
> rather than an error caused by it being *broken* then that gives us a
> damned good base to start looking at. If anyone gets that a related
> error message, by all means send me your entire /var/log/messages back
> for a week and I'll read it line by line if i have to!

For the sake of completeness: The BlueOnyx was created from the vz
template sometime in Q3/2009 and then I imported all sites that are
currently on it from a strongbolt installation running on a RaQ4. Since
then nothing probably has changed, so I assume it messed up during the
imports of the existing sites. Unfortunately this is pretty long ago and
I have no backup showing the exact messages when it messed up. Should it
happen again, I'll happily supply you with all information needed.
So far I haven't seen this problem on any of the other BlueOnyx servers
we run (quite a few).

Cheers,
Christoph