[BlueOnyx:03699] Re: Unable to create new sites

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Fri Feb 26 08:25:43 -05 2010

Steve Howes wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2010, at 09:05, Christoph Schneeberger wrote:
>
>> The script created a perfectly valid codb.oids.
>> So I restarted cced, added an alias: worked.
>> I then went ahead and created www.xytest.ch: worked.
>> I then again deleted the site www.xytext.ch: worked.
>> Recreated another test site: worked again.
>>
>> I have created a vip account for you on our coffeemachine, you can
>> login
>> whenever you want and download free coffee without any limits ;-)
>>

> Really glad that worked. I'll add it to my toolkit of 'handy scripts'
> for future use. If you get any ill effects further down the line let
> me know, but I'm hoping it was something that isn't likely to happen
> again.
>

>> For the sake of completeness: The BlueOnyx was created from the vz
>> template sometime in Q3/2009 and then I imported all sites that are
>> currently on it from a strongbolt installation running on a RaQ4.
>> Since
>> then nothing probably has changed, so I assume it messed up during the
>> imports of the existing sites. Unfortunately this is pretty long ago
>> and
>> I have no backup showing the exact messages when it messed up.
>> Should it
>> happen again, I'll happily supply you with all information needed.
>> So far I haven't seen this problem on any of the other BlueOnyx
>> servers
>> we run (quite a few).
>>

> That is re-assuring to know. The only other time I've had to fix this
> fault was on an old RaQ 550. I'll keep an ear out for anyone else
> getting this and do any fixes that are needed.
>
> Hopefully it'll all be ok now. Have a good weekend, and if I am ever
> nearby I'll come and have some of that coffee ;)

You're welcome any time ;)

I had some ill side effects, but I am note sure how far this is
connected. Shortly after fixing it, the customer complained about non
working spam protections (running Solarspeeds AV-Spam). I found that
somehow a new sendmail.cf had been generated at exactly the time i
restarted cced this morning. Needless to say that sendmail.cf was a
default one without the hooks to clamav and milter that the previous one
had. I restored sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc from the backup and
restarted sendmail, now things look ok.
I also tried to reboot the box and sure enough it kicked out AV-Spam
again and reinstalled default sendmail.mc and sendmail.cf .

I'll contact Solarspeed about that one, but its strange that this starts
to happen after fixing the problem with oids... and it seems to happen
everytime I restart cced.

Cheers,
Christoph