[BlueOnyx:04744] Re: Install questions

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jun 12 20:46:10 -05 2010

Hi Darrell,

> So no more complicated than a CMU in and out.  Not too bad.

Exactly.

> I have to imagine though that the CMU rework to accommodate Mailman instead
> of Majordomo won't be a walk in the park.

That's true. I haven't tackled that one yet, but hopefully it'll be less
complicated than I initially imagined. The necessary data fields are in the
XML file and when you import from a dump, then the same scripts are run that
are run on mailing list creation. So the creation of the list probably is less
a problem than importing the actual messages. And the next problem will be how
downward compatible will it be? Like can you export a Mailman list on
5107R/5108R and re-import it as a Majordomo list on 5106R? No promises on that
one. :p

> Still, Mailman would be a much more desirable product to use.

Indeed. Even if we don't get the CMU import of a Majordomo list into Mailman
done 100% right, it's still worth it.

> What advantages do we get with Postfix over Sendmail?

No more sendmail.mc / sendmail.cf hacking for starters. :o)

In regards to configuration Postfix is much, much more user friendly. You can
actually read the config files and make sense of them. We an even skip
Procmail and let Postfix handle the delivery to the mailboxes - or the
bouncing in case the site or user is over quota. Performance wise there are
also a couple of advantages, but most users won't notice that.

> After being on Blue Quartz for three years and not having to face the
> upgrade decision due to a non-aggressive development team, it sort of
> shocks me to see the potential to have to migrate again in less than 12
> months after I moved to Blue Onyx.  Double edged sword, no?  Non-agressive
> = out of date, More-aggressive = no moss on a rolling stone. ;-)

Well, BlueOnyx 5106R on CentOS5 won't go away. It'll be maintained as long as
CentOS5 is supported upstream and plenty of those updates we're doing for
5107R and 5108R will eventually filter down as well (minus the Postfix and
Mailman support) when we re-consolidate the codebase again. So it won't hurt
to sit out the upgrade for another half a year or a year. Or even longer if
you choose to do so.