[BlueOnyx:04844] Re: Firewall for Datacenter

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Tue Jun 29 07:06:39 -05 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 09:14 +0100, Jeffrey Pellin wrote:
> I used pfsense for a while. It has a good web-gui but you need to take the
> following issues into account:
>
> 1. As it's BSD you need to be VERY careful about what NICs you choose,
> particularly if you are using multiple NIC cards.
>
> 2. If you are going to use multiple WAN connections, be aware that ftp is
> only available on the first, and even then requires both luck and
> witchcraft to get it going.
>
> I've heard some good things about Ebox and ClearOS, but have no personal
> hands-on.

Thanks for your input.
I have looked at Ebox and ClearOS, both are more fit for firewalling a
local network of PCs with private single IPs. not servers with multiple
public IPs.
I'll take a look at untangle.

Also thanks to all that responded. Interesting that the original msg
generated many comments. Thanks

For now we are working on using pfsense with bridged Nics. Will give an
update later.

Gerald