[BlueOnyx:03757] Re: subdomains/dns

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Mar 2 10:22:12 -05 2010

germano Soru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if I'm configuring the dns correctly, so I'm looking for some
> help if possible.
>
> I have a sub domain:  subdomain.website1.com which works no problem,
> If I type in rubbishstuff.website1.com it sometimes it forwards to that sub
> domain, other times it times out... (mail.website1.com always points to the
> sub domain)which it shouldn't, it should just go to www.website1.com or
> timeout..
>
> Also if I type in for instance mail.website2.com or
> rubbishstuff.website2.com (sometimes times out) it forwards to
> subdomain.website1.com.
>
> Similarly this happens on a different ip with different websites but since
> they don't have a sub domains, it forwards to the first domain I added...
>

> Is there a way to stop this and keep domains within themselves and prevent
> them from overlapping in this manor... I know it's a bit difficult as they
> share ips with one another

Hi Germano,

Without specifics, it's a bit difficult for me to tell you with
certainty what you have going on.  However, generally speaking, you want
to be sure that for each subdomain you have created, you have also
created an A record (forward record) in your DNS zone, and then you
Apply Changes to the zone.

It has been my experience that when that's set up correctly, the
subdomains will "just work."  We will put hundreds of sites (and
goodness knows how many subdomains) on a single IP without issue.

If you are unable to get it resolved, and are comfortable giving the
actual domains & subdomains you're working with, then we on the list may
be able to give you some more pointed instruction.

HTH,
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services