[BlueOnyx:03759] Re: Slow proftp connections

Rickard Osser rickard.osser at bluapp.com
Tue Mar 2 10:33:05 -05 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 09:24 -0600, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
wrote:
> Rickard Osser wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Do you still have occasional slow connections to ftp on BO?
> >
> > I've found out that "IdentLookups off" does not really work in "server
> > config" but works correctly in "<Global>" as well as in "<VirtualHost>".
> >
> > If this is something you've seen or still see, comment on this as I'm
> > pondering fixing this once and for all now.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rickard
>
> Hi Rickard,
> I have never seen this as a problem, but we are fortunate to run a very
> stable DNS service, and most of the ISP's here are good about providing
> PTR's on their networks.
>
> However, I can see where it could become a problem if you have many
> users without proper reverse-DNS set up.  In that case, the lookups will
> have to time-out.  So I can see where disabling that could be helpful.

Hi Chris,

it's not UseReverseDNS I'm talking about, it's the old and trustworthy
auth/identd (tcp/113) which nobody uses anymore as nobody in their right
mind opens tcp/113 in their firewall. :)

So, the question is, should we force this off or make it optional?

Regards,

Rickard

Bluapp AB
Rickard Osser