[BlueOnyx:03762] Re: Slow proftp connections

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Mar 2 11:04:48 -05 2010

Rickard Osser wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 09:24 -0600, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
> wrote:
>> Rickard Osser wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Do you still have occasional slow connections to ftp on BO?
>>>
>>> I've found out that "IdentLookups off" does not really work in "server
>>> config" but works correctly in "<Global>" as well as in "<VirtualHost>".
>>>
>>> If this is something you've seen or still see, comment on this as I'm
>>> pondering fixing this once and for all now.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Rickard
>> Hi Rickard,
>> I have never seen this as a problem, but we are fortunate to run a very
>> stable DNS service, and most of the ISP's here are good about providing
>> PTR's on their networks.
>>
>> However, I can see where it could become a problem if you have many
>> users without proper reverse-DNS set up.  In that case, the lookups will
>> have to time-out.  So I can see where disabling that could be helpful.
>>
> Hi Chris,
>
> it's not UseReverseDNS I'm talking about, it's the old and trustworthy
> auth/identd (tcp/113) which nobody uses anymore as nobody in their right
> mind opens tcp/113 in their firewall. :)
>
> So, the question is, should we force this off or make it optional?
>
> Regards,

<smack>   That's what I get for reading list mail on the Blackberry then
coming into the office to tender a reply.   D'oh!

I'd say force off would be OK for most purposes.  However, as we've seen
in the past, goodness knows what it might touch off with some random
user in some far flung corner of the Internet.  <scratches head>   But I
can't think of a problem it would cause...

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services