[BlueOnyx:03783] Re: (BlueOnyx:03757) Re: subdomains/dns

Jeff Folk jefffolk at mac.com
Wed Mar 3 07:03:45 -05 2010

Germano;

> Ok, let me try and explain better…
>

> I have two ips for the one server…  <ip1> and <ip2>
>
> On <ip1>:
>
> I have
> domain1.tld
> domain2.tld
> domain3.tld
>
> domain1.tld was the first I added to that ip and it currently has 4
> subdomains sitting on it, asd.domain1.tld, bsd.domain1.tld,
> csd.domain1.tld, dsd.domain1.tld.
> they all work no problems.
>

> If I type domain2.tld, that works no problem
> If I type in mail.domain2.ltd, it automatically goes to
> asd.domain1.tld, it shows mail.domain2.ltd, but displays it as if it
> was the correct sub domain for that address
> Which is wrong, it should just stay within the domain “domain2.ltd”
> and not jump to another domain

Generally, no one will use a MX name to access web services for a
domain. Whenever you type a name that resolves to an IP that isn't
specifically listed as a web alias in that domain, the web site
returned will always be site1 on that IP. If you want mail.domain2.tld
to display the web page for domain2.tld, you will have to list
mail.domain2.tld in the web alias field.

HTH
Jeff