[BlueOnyx:03782] (BlueOnyx:03757) Re: subdomains/dns

Germano germano at soru.me.uk
Wed Mar 3 05:44:00 -05 2010

Ok, let me try and explain better.

I have two ips for the one server.  <ip1> and <ip2>

On <ip1>:

I have

domain1.tld

domain2.tld

domain3.tld

domain1.tld was the first I added to that ip and it currently has 4
subdomains sitting on it, asd.domain1.tld, bsd.domain1.tld, csd.domain1.tld,
dsd.domain1.tld.

they all work no problems.

If I type domain2.tld, that works no problem

If I type in mail.domain2.ltd, it automatically goes to asd.domain1.tld, it
shows mail.domain2.ltd, but displays it as if it was the correct sub domain
for that address

Which is wrong, it should just stay within the domain "domain2.ltd" and not
jump to another domain

On <ip2>

I have

domainA.tld

domainB.tld

domainC.tld

If I type in the domains they all work correctly, if I type in
"mail.domainB.tld", it just jumps to www.domainA.tld which again is wrong.

The only way I can think if solving these is using the dominant sub domain
and using mod_rewrite to do edit the domain and forward it correctly which
is probably wrong way of doing things..

I guess would it be possible for someone to show me how they config their
dns, blank out the ips and domains, so I can see what is the correct way of
doing things

An example of how I've done it, but its probably wrong, this would be
domain1.tld with 4 sub domains

Query                           Type                 Response

mail . soru.me.uk           Alias                 soru.me.uk

mail . soru.me.uk           Forward            87.117.205.7

ns . soru.me.uk             Forward            87.117.205.7

ns1 . soru.me.uk           Forward            87.117.205.7

peach . soru.me.uk        Forward            87.117.205.7

soru.me.uk                    Mail Highest      mail.soru.me.uk

soru.me.uk                    Forward            87.117.205.7

www . soru.me.uk          Forward            87.117.205.7

thankx

Germano

germano Soru wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm not sure if I'm configuring the dns correctly, so I'm looking for some

> help if possible.

> I have a sub domain:  subdomain.website1.com which works no problem,

> If I type in rubbishstuff.website1.com it sometimes it forwards to that
sub

> domain, other times it times out... (mail.website1.com always points to
the

> sub domain)which it shouldn't, it should just go to www.website1.com or

> timeout..

> Also if I type in for instance mail.website2.com or

> rubbishstuff.website2.com (sometimes times out) it forwards to

> subdomain.website1.com.

> Similarly this happens on a different ip with different websites but since

> they don't have a sub domains, it forwards to the first domain I added...

> Is there a way to stop this and keep domains within themselves and prevent

> them from overlapping in this manor... I know it's a bit difficult as they

> share ips with one another

Hi Germano,

Without specifics, it's a bit difficult for me to tell you with

certainty what you have going on.  However, generally speaking, you want

to be sure that for each subdomain you have created, you have also

created an A record (forward record) in your DNS zone, and then you

Apply Changes to the zone.

It has been my experience that when that's set up correctly, the

subdomains will "just work."  We will put hundreds of sites (and

goodness knows how many subdomains) on a single IP without issue.

If you are unable to get it resolved, and are comfortable giving the

actual domains & subdomains you're working with, then we on the list may

be able to give you some more pointed instruction.

HTH,

--

Chris Gebhardt

VIRTBIZ Internet Services