[BlueOnyx:03790] Re: DNS - I clearly don't understand this....

Support support at etmpacific.com.au
Wed Mar 3 22:17:09 -05 2010

Thanks Christoph,

I am not sure if I understand what exactly you are trying to achieve,
you are not really providing all the information to understand the
problem fully.
But between the lines I read your BO has 2 NICs, one connected to the
public internet and one connected to an internal (RFC1918 style) intranet.
Your internal DNS points the hostnames in question to the IP of the NIC
which is connected to the internal intranet, your external DNS hands out
the IP of the external interface. Am I right so far ?
Now I think you expect to access i.e. remote.otherdomain.com.au through
internal as well as external network interface.

If I am still right, the answer would be: Won't work out of the box,
every site is bound to a single IP and therefor to a network interface.
The thing you believe is working, is probably just site1, which is shown
if no virtual host directive matches, as the site1 is the default server
for everything unmatchable.

You could however copy the contents of /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site1 to
the end of /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site1.include and just change the ip
address in the NameVirtualHost Directive there to the second IP-address.
I haven't tested this, but I think this should work.

hth,
Christoph

I thought I confused the situation :-)

I have only one external ip address on my firewall and then it is port 80
forwarded to the BO machine (which is working as a database/web server not
as a firewall - I just like to do things differently and BO can do so may
things) so that all www.x.y(.z) traffic appears on ETH0. So effectively BO
services web requests from the internet behind a pfSense firewall - I can't
move the pfSense out of the way as I need it for PPTP but that is another
story.

So what I have is the .com and .com.au for two different domains that I need
to have working correctly.... if someone accesses domain1.com or
domain1.com.au I need them both to see domain1.com (at least) and the same
for the domain2.com and domain2.com.au.

So I created domain1.com and domain2.com as virtual sites and when users
access either one they go to the correct site.... but I cannot figure out
how to 'attach' domain2.com.au to domain2.com so that when someone tries to
access domain2.com.au they go to domain2.com - instead they go to
domain1.com. I could create two extra virtual sites and have four sites to
update but that seems silly just to handle the .au situation.

I have created all the DNS records in SBS2003, and configured BO to use the
SBS2003 DNS server with the result that if I ping domain2.com or
domain2.com.au they both point to the BO box (they have A records and PTRs
are correct) but then when I access domain2.com.au in either IE8 or Opera
(DNS on my local machine has been flushed and returns the correct pings) on
my local machine I get redirected to domain.com which would indicate that BO
doesn't know anything about domain2.com.au.

When I look at the BO DNS for domain2.com there doesn't seem to be a way of
creating domain2.com.au without creating an virtual site and so I cannot
tell domain2.com that it also responds to domain2.com.au.

I hope this makes sense.... essentially I am asking how do I have two
different (albeit nearly identical in this case) domains associate with the
one virtual site.

Thanks for your help.

Tony