[BlueOnyx:03785] Re: DNS - I clearly don't understand this....

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Wed Mar 3 11:23:42 -05 2010

Support wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two domains (well four actually);
>
> remote.domain.com
> remote.domain.com.au
>
> remote.otherdomain.com
> remote.otherdomain.com.au
>
> All have valid DNS entries both on the internet and on the local internet,
> externally they all forward to the correct IP address on the firewall and
> internally SBS2003 hands out the internal address of the BO machine.
>
> When I create remote.domain.com and remote.otherdomain.com I can access them
> without an issue,  but I have yet to be able to successfully configure BO to
> allow me to have the .au domains.
>
> If I use remote.domain.com.au it goes to site1 which is remote.domain.com so
> that sort of works but remote.otherdomain.com.au goes to site1 as well
> (which is expected under the circumstances).
>
> Can someone help me with a step by step of how to make this work???
>
> Ideally I would like to have the one site with three alias' but nothing that
> I try and configure will make this happen.
>
> Tony

I am not sure if I understand what exactly you are trying to achieve,
you are not really providing all the information to understand the
problem fully.
But between the lines I read your BO has 2 NICs, one connected to the
public internet and one connected to an internal (RFC1918 style) intranet.
Your internal DNS points the hostnames in question to the IP of the NIC
which is connected to the internal intranet, your external DNS hands out
the IP of the external interface. Am I right so far ?
Now I think you expect to access i.e. remote.otherdomain.com.au through
internal as well as external network interface.

If I am still right, the answer would be: Won't work out of the box,
every site is bound to a single IP and therefor to a network interface.
The thing you believe is working, is probably just site1, which is shown
if no virtual host directive matches, as the site1 is the default server
for everything unmatchable.

You could however copy the contents of /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site1 to
the end of /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site1.include and just change the ip
address in the NameVirtualHost Directive there to the second IP-address.
I haven't tested this, but I think this should work.

hth,
Christoph