[BlueOnyx:03930] Re: Email user alias problem SOLVED (sort of)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Mar 11 00:02:50 -05 2010

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> I'm having a peculiar issue with a customer system.
>
> Sending emails to user aliases on a domain are not functioning.
>
> For instance, I have username jblow on www.domain.tld and an email alias
> of joeblow.   Sending to jblow at domain.tld will work fine.  Sending to
> joeblow at domain.tld always results in User Unknown.
>
> I've played the game of pulling out the aliases, saving, then putting
> the aliases back in and saving again.   I've checked
> /etc/mail/virtusertable and everything looks good.
>
> The only thing non-stock with this box is it's running Mailman, so it
> has the extra aliases file defined in sendmail.mc.
>
> makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db <  /etc/mail/virtusertable works
> just fine with no errors.
>
> Can somebody help with what I'm missing?

I looked again through /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and found this line:
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db,
/etc/mail/virtusertable.mailman.db')dnl

I removed the bit about /etc/mail/virtusertable.mailman.db, recompiled,
restarted Sendmail, and now everything appears to be working.

But since this is the only box I have a hand in that runs Mailman, I'd
be curious for some feedback on if that will cause an issue, or why it
happened to be.  (I don't have another system with Mailman running to
determine if that content was included or not).

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services