[BlueOnyx:04021] Re: migration mySQL problems :-(

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Sat Mar 13 21:59:59 -05 2010

If you're doing a complete move from BQ to BX - all databases and all users, use this:

BQ = mysqldump --opt --flush-logs --all-databases -u root -p > /home/cmu/alldatabases.dump

Then copy it across to the new BX server.  Set a MySQL root user password (same password as BQ box is easiest) in the BX GUI.  Then use:
cat /path/alldatabases.dump | mysql -u root -p

I used those exact two commands just a couple weeks ago to move everything from one server to the other.  Not a single problem with the MySQL databases.  And there were at LOT!  Most of the sites on that box were running Joomla and it had over 93 databases on it.

Only other thing to do besides that was cmuExport/cmuImport.  That was easy.

The one problem you might run into - the Joomla configuration file stores the absolute path in the configuration file for its logs and tmp directory.  It won't prevent Joomla and the sites from working, but they won't log correctly.  I wound up having to vi 62 configuration files to correct the absolute path (since the CMU utility doesn't preserve the /home/.sites/#/site# from the old server to the new).

Good luck.

Chuck