[BlueOnyx:04065] Re: Couple of questions...

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Mar 19 16:50:11 -05 2010

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> C'mon, certainly there are people in this list with opinions. ;-)

MailMan GUI integration would be neat, indeed.   Nobody currently offers
it, but it is possible to replace Majordomo w/ Mailman.   It just has to
be done manually, and of course there is not any integration into the GUI.

What would you be willing to pay for such a package?  $50?  $100?

>> 2. I use several computers to perform work tasks every week, at least two,
>> sometimes four.  Currently, I have six POP email accounts that involve
>> personal, real job and third-party business related email.  I have always
>> used POP email because I wanted to keep a local copy of the email (for
>> whatever delusional reasons), and tend to store some email indefinitely.
>> What is bothersome is having multiple email clients get the "new" mail
>> every
>> time they are started, and having sent mail on one computer when you use
>> another.  How can I migrate to IMAP to resolve these issues?  What is the
>> best method?

Set up your IMAP on your various mail clients.  Then assuming you want
to load your that's currently downloaded onto the various clients back
into the IMAP store, you can keep your POP3 and IMAP set up
simultaneously on your workstations (but be sure and turn off the
checking on the POP3 accounts so they stop downloading!)  Then drag and
drop your messages from your POP3 inbox to your IMAP inbox.

In order to save space on the server, you may want to periodically
remove messages and save them on a local store somewhere, or at least
into an archive folder on the IMAP account.   I do that, and keep at max
12 months of INBOX, with the rest offloaded into ARCHIVED.

Everybody has their favorite way to manage their email.  That's just mine.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services