[BlueOnyx:04088] Re: BlueOnyx on VPS

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Mar 22 01:54:04 -05 2010

Hi Trond,

> I want to install BlueOnyx on a VPS, but this one does not have a
> separate partition for Home. How do I set this up?

You already received a couple of helpful replies there, so let me just chime
in with some extra info.

First of all, it would help if we knew what kind of virtualization your ISP is
providing to you. If it is OpenVZ or Virtuozzo, your ISP could simply download
the BlueOnyx OS template and create a VPS off that for you. That would be the
least hassles.

If it's some kind of virtualization that allows to install a VPS off a CD
image, then it would be best if the ISP uses the BlueOnyx ISO image to do so.

Now if neither of that is an option (unhelpful ISP or support tickets costing
an arm and a leg) and all you got is a minimal CentOS5 installation inside
your VPS:

Yeah, you can still install BlueOnyx on top of that - even if you don't have a
separate /home partition. However, that'll require a little more effort than
any other of the "usual" means.

In that case you'd use the TAR-ball installer, but you'll have to modify the
install.sh script a little. Open it in an editor and find the "exit 1"
statement in the section where it checks for the /home partition. Comment it
out, run the install.sh script and see how far it goes through. It should
probably complete at that point - if my memory serves correctly.

FWIW: I did a few tarball installs of BlueOnyx myself, even on VPS's w/o
separate /home partition for someone that's using a large a French ISP. The
need for the /home partition is a leftover from the old Cobalt days and
generally having a separate /home partition makes sense, as you can set
different permissions on it and can choose to only enable quota there, but not
on the rest of the system. Under OpenVZ, Aventurin{e} and Virtuozzo we don't
have separate partitions either and I made some provisions in BlueOnyx which
allow it to still play it nice in those cases. The only "bug" you may get when
not using a "supported" VPS w/o /home is that your "Active Monitor" will still
show two partitions under "Disk Usage": The / partition and /home, both with
indentical information.

If the install still fails: Check the install.sh script again and you'll find
the commands it runs. Basically it evaluates the system to see if it is a
CentOS5, has quota enabled, has a /home partition and then removes a couple of
conflicting RPMs that *may* be present. Then it installs several RPMs that are
in the tarball and contain the BlueOnyx and the Solarspeed YUM repository.
Then it does several "yum install" commands to fetch the latest BlueOnyx RPMs
from these YUM repositories and installs them. Next unneeded services are
turned off and needed services are turned on.

Near the end it does some post-install actions like running some scripts,
checks if the "admin" account is present (if not a script is run to create it)
and finally it runs the sysreset script that generates the initial login pages
that guide you through the web based setup of the GUI.

These steps can also all be run manually if needed. The only "critical" part
is getting the right RPMs aboard and all in all that's easy enough if you use
the list of RPMs that's shown in the tarball's install.sh script.