[BlueOnyx:04123] Re: duplicate users in gui which wont delete

Steve Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Tue Mar 23 14:29:26 -05 2010

On 23 Mar 2010, at 18:53, Steve Howes wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2010, at 18:15, Michael Stauber wrote:
>> <snip>
>> .. and to change one of the names inside those files to something else.
>>
>> Afterwards it should be possible to delete one or even both through the GUI.
>>
>> But as said: That's a unique situation that shouldn't have happened to begin
>> with (can't imagine how that happened!).
>
> I want to try and play with editing that to make sure it tidies up after itself. I figured if one of them is renamed then deleted, the other one should take care of home directory deletion etc, but i want to try and test that (although it wont be exact - as you say the situation shouldn't be possible.

Hmm, I've had trouble deleting renamed users this way. I think its probably because my 'mock up' is not actually accurate. This is a bit 'at your own risk', but....

Run a backup, then open

/usr/sausalito/codb/objects/1787/.name

and and change it to another username. Then go into the GUI and delete the one which hasn't changed. Then edit that file again and put it back to what it was. Then delete that one in the GUI. I'd make sure you have a backup, and keep an eye on /var/log/messages and post the output to the list if this doesn't work, alongside what you currently see in the GUI so we can work out how to fix it. It it gets too complicated it might be better off finding someone to connect to your box and try and fix it, there are a number of support companies who will do this.